Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Tag as favorite
When was your last riding lesson?
jennifer
#1 Posted : Thursday, 3 June 2010 9:36:01 p.m.

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Mine was over a year ago- I had to stop going because we moved quite a bit further away from my instructor and new house/mortgage has been kicking my butt a little bit, hehe Blushing My aim is to start having regular lessons when the clocks next change!

When/where was your last lesson?
rebecca
#2 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 8:12:43 a.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I actually can't remember the last time I had one - this is probably not a good thing! Although I think I could be off the hook, seeing as I don't own a horse right now!
When I was younger I used to have the best dressage lessons with Marion Donnelly, she never let me get away with anything, but always had a sense of humour!
summerveld
#3 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 3:31:27 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had one last Saturday and am having another one tomorrow! But I need them desperately - had a looong break from horses and really want to do my mare justice, she is so talented. I used to work in racing so have some very bad habits from then to break plus years of office work haven't helped either.

I am lucky to graze where my instructor is and she is fabulous with adult riders like me who need the confidence.
jennifer
#4 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 3:32:53 p.m.

Medals:

I totally know what you mean about the office work. I'm considering going to a chiropractor or something before I get back into my lessons because I'm probably crooked as anything! :(
summerveld
#5 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 3:47:13 p.m.

Medals:

Funny you should say that, I was at my chiropractor on Tuesday with x-rays as my lower back has been aching and it turns out my pelvis is rotated - hopefully that explains those issues I have been having with balance and sitting deep in the saddle.
jennifer
#6 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 4:52:09 p.m.

Medals:

Yeah,even if you're slightly crooked yourself it will effect the way the horse is going. Crooked rider, crooked horse! My dressage instructor (who I was having lessons with and will get back to soon!) was always nagging me to see a chiro, just to check that everything was as it should be. I actually manage the PR account for a bunch of chiropractors so really don't have any excuse not to go! Haha
KA-T2YA
#7 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 6:56:53 p.m.

Medals:

Dr Tony Tindell (sp) is one of the best to go to in Aucks, he deals to a few horse riders and is fantastic, always go and see him when I get back to Auckland.

I was having lessons every week with my coach, but when Mac broke himself back in November that stopped (still not on him again, must pull finger and start doing his ground work again, he's been cleared by the chiro now) but have been having monthly lessons with Saskia Ostermeier on Smokey in the meantime and he is going really well with her (but heck it's expensive!)
Talk To Your Animals
Summer_Jayde
#8 Posted : Saturday, 5 June 2010 1:59:05 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Mine was when I was in Pony Club and that would have been.... about 7 years ago

I went to a Chiro last year and I have a very very bad back due to a terrible labour with my daughter and many falls off horses... I have a twisted pelvis and my back is all wonky and the top of my spine points inwards.. and not sorta that nice curve..

My boy I have now I did a lesson on him (before he was my boy) and he was bucking like a looney! haha The instructor didn't like him much at all

I do miss competeing etc one day I shall get back into it and find me a horse that will want to do things :)
MSBOND
#9 Posted : Saturday, 5 June 2010 9:33:54 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I had a western lesson about 2 weeks ago, run by the adult riding club. I love the western lessons, they are such a relaxing way to train your horse and your bond.
I would love to go to one of Chesky's "Yes I can" clinics coming up, I'd love her to help me with my jumping, I have confidence issues but would love to do ODEs again!!
johnmethew
#10 Posted : Friday, 3 September 2010 5:48:59 p.m.

Medals:

This is quite funny and interesting. I like this thread. Thanks for the sharing.
Esther
#11 Posted : Friday, 10 September 2010 7:22:21 a.m.

Medals:

On Tuesday and I am going to have another one today
KA-T2YA
#12 Posted : Friday, 10 September 2010 8:35:30 a.m.

Medals:

yeah, I had a jumping one on Wednesday and a dressage one today :o)

Absolutely full of the flu tho so it's gonna be HARD work!
Talk To Your Animals
Thalia
#13 Posted : Tuesday, 24 January 2012 10:52:40 p.m.

Medals:

I haven't had one in a few years and would really like to start getting some maybe once a fortnight when I am able to ride again... don't suppose anyone knows someone who will do private lessons on site in west auckland?
jennifer
#14 Posted : Wednesday, 25 January 2012 9:11:49 a.m.

Medals:

I have two in a row today. A groundwork/lungeing lesson with the three old year that hasn't been backed yet and a riding lesson with the three year old that is under saddle. Going to be tired tonight I think!
Emma12
#15 Posted : Thursday, 26 January 2012 7:38:26 a.m.

Medals:

Hi Thalia, what sort of instructor are you after? there are some fab ones around!
I haven't had a lesson in a few months now but have one sat and one tues eeeeek both pony and I are way too unfit..
How did yours go Jen?
jennifer
#16 Posted : Thursday, 26 January 2012 11:06:58 a.m.

Medals:

Really well, thanks Emma! The lungeing lessons with Katie, preparing her for backing, have been priceless. I would never have thought of having a lungeing/groundwork lesson but they have been so useful and interesting. We have got her really responsive and attentive now, which will all come in handy when I'm riding her.

Lesson with Jazz was slow and steady as she has only been under saddle a few weeks and still has a lot of growing and muscling up to do! We walked her around the arena and just focused on keeping her relaxed and increasing her confidence. It was her third or fourth time in the arena and the first time she has walked all the way around it. Had a couple of spooks (and to be fair, even older horses find this arena scary until they've been in a few times! Blink)but generally coped very well, very pleased with her. Will spend the rest of the week hacking about and a few more sessions in the arena, working on changes of direction, stop - start etc.

Let us know how yours goes Emma. Love hearing lesson reports! :)
Noisy2003
#17 Posted : Tuesday, 4 June 2013 8:00:32 p.m.

Medals:

After not riding at all for about 10 years and moving to NZ almost 6 years ago I bought my first horse about 4 years ago! I have had lessons once a week ever since! My coach helped us heaps! I think I would have given up on us without her as my boy had some really bad manners when I got him! Not even she wanted to get on him... We have come so far, have grown together and have bonded so much! I enjoy the time once week - it's just for me BigGrin