Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

2 Pages12>
Tag as favorite
The best hack you've ever been on?
jennifer
#1 Posted : Monday, 31 May 2010 5:03:17 p.m.

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Do you have one, legendary ride that really sticks out in your memory? My favourite ride was when I was younger back in the UK. We lived right out in the middle of nowhere and were friends with the farmer so he let us ride everywhere. There was one route across the middle of a huge field, over a shallow ditch, through a nature reserve, across a track, up the sea wall and onto the beach where you could gallop to your heart's content. I absolutely loved it!

Sadly, a new farmer came along when I was older and he wasn't as friendly. He locked all his gates and threw barbed wire everywhere. Clearly not a horse lover! lol

More recently, I did go for my first ride down Muriwai Beach and that was amazing too. Can't wait until my two are old enough to take a hoon down there. Can't be anywhere better to teach them how to stretch out and gallop on! BigGrin
MSBOND
#2 Posted : Monday, 31 May 2010 7:05:24 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Two years ago, before my accident, we stayed in the cabin at Woodhill forest for 3 days, on the first day we rode for 3 hours, second day for at least 5 hours and the last day for a couple of hours. The trails were plenty of fun especially one called the telegraph trail (or something similar haha)it was the best for a good 5min fast canter through undulating, flowing corners, pine covered and QUIET. Another trail I loved had heaps of jumps along the path, another great one to canter for a 15mins. Even after 11hours of riding we still hadnt done all the trails!! I having been dreaming of it ever since and cant wait to get back there for another long weekend away. My horse and I are nearly ready, another month or two give of take. Ahhhh the memories!Blushing
the doodes show jumping team
#3 Posted : Monday, 31 May 2010 7:17:24 p.m.

Medals:

a few years ago when i got my first horse deedee she was a 15hh thourbred x we went on a long bare back beach ride as i was only 7 she was a bit to strong for me but finaly there was harmony as we galloped along

sadly 3-4 months later she had to be put down at the age of 23 because of a fall in the paddockCrying

RIP DEEDEE My angel
Molly xx
Summer_Jayde
#4 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 7:34:16 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I learnt to ride in Opotiki in the Bay of Plenty with big long beaches at your feet and forrestry!

A few years ago I went on a trail ride in the King Country and that was amazing! 3 days and we were as high in the mountains as you could get with picturest views!

Also my friend and I use to go on weekend rides through the Weiti Forrest to the beach - I have to say riding through pine forrests is just the best!!!

I would love to go on a big ride like that again - Just have to find a riding buddy with a quiet horse as mine is a tad... explosive at times
MSBOND
#5 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 7:41:34 p.m.

Medals:

Where about in Auckland are you? My pony is VERY dumpdee doo lol!
Summer_Jayde
#6 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 7:46:33 p.m.

Medals:

Im all the way out on East Coast Bays Road

I really want a laxed back horse but I can't give my boy up haha
MSBOND
#7 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 7:52:27 p.m.

Medals:

Yeah definitely dont give up on him, my boy was an ex polo pony, the more hacking out we did the better he got, we have a laxed out standardbred buddy to ride with which helped HEAPS! In 2.5years I have a different horse.
Your close to woodhill!!! Lucky!
Summer_Jayde
#8 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:00:30 p.m.

Medals:

Haha I hope he calms down - He is 16 but a rig so he acts 5 years old.

I have never ridden in woodhill - Sadly not financially set to have a float/truck to take him places - One day I shall :)

Weiti Station is down the road.. sort of but I dont know if it is open to public still
jennifer
#9 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:16:29 p.m.

Medals:

Ooh, I'm near Woodhill (Muriwai)- I didn't realise there were so many trails in there. Don't have any riding horses at the moment though- just baby horses, hehe. Can't wait until they're old enough to ride!! ThumpUp
Summer_Jayde
#10 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:18:09 p.m.

Medals:

Hehe one day I shall get to woodhill for a ride :)

It will probably be when your babies are all ready to be ridden haha
jennifer
#11 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:24:07 p.m.

Medals:

Haha, you can come along and ride one of them when they're old enough if you want. I can only ride one at a time after all! Wink You'll have the choice of a 17.2hh Irish/TB Saddle Hunter or a 15.2 part-bred Arab Park Hack! Cool
Summer_Jayde
#12 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:30:59 p.m.

Medals:

Aww your so lovely!

If I had a choice I would most likely choose your 17.2hh Irish/TB Saddle Hunter as I love the big guys :)

The horse I have sadly lost to a free-lease gone bad was a 17.1hh TB - Awesome horse :)

Are they all your babies in the pictures under your posts?

Summer_Jayde
#13 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:32:02 p.m.

Medals:

haha you don't have to reply to that I had a mental block moment as they are in your introduction
jennifer
#14 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:34:46 p.m.

Medals:

I love the big ones too. She's so laid back and friendly as well- I think she's going to be a doddle to break in (touch wood!!)
Summer_Jayde
#15 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:37:55 p.m.

Medals:

Haha *fingers crossed*

How old is she?

I was looking at a Kaimanawa mare and her foal recently - I really shouldn't have gone to see them as I got attached rather quickly - Sadly can;t get them at the moment but if they are still for sale in a few months who knows hehe
jennifer
#16 Posted : Tuesday, 1 June 2010 8:43:39 p.m.

Medals:

The market's still pretty slow so you never know. Fingers crossed!

She's nearly 20 months and measured in at 16hh about a month ago (although, measured with a tape which isn't that reliable) She's a big girlie though :)
rebecca
#17 Posted : Wednesday, 2 June 2010 2:08:59 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Recently I went to Tangihau Station up in Gisborne for work and took part in a muster (getting the cows in for pregnancy scanning). I was given the manager's cute little Clydie-cross mare for the morning and when we set off the stars were still out, no joke. This place is BIG hill country and almost vertical in places. It was magic!
I'm lucky that I grew up on a 1300 acre farm in HB, rolling hill country, so I had plenty of country to hack over. I guess I have been a bit spoilt!
KA-T2YA
#18 Posted : Wednesday, 2 June 2010 3:29:59 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
my favourite ride was actually over a mates farm I've ridden over a few times. She was hosting that months CTR and my dun Mac had been a right royal PITA leading up to the trail ride. I'd put the hard word on him a week prior about behaving like he actually enjoyed the outings over others farms (we only have 5 acres but are rural so have a few BIG farms to ride over) and allowing me to enjoy the rides too. His main issues are mounting ones and he'd started being a prat again, bouncing up and down on the spot, threatening to bolt (he's a true fear bolter, just goes blind and shuts down, so very dangerous) and I threatened him that if he wouldn't pull his head in it was fine, he'd never leave the property again unless it was for a lesson or dressage, his call... well we had a good ride the weekend before the CTR with a LOT of reminders on the way around reminding him what was riding on his behaviour, and then the CTR.... he was BRILLIANT. The best bonding ride I've had with him, spectacular scenery, great hills, and his attitude was perfect. Will always stick in my mind :)

In fact I have some photos of some of the scenery from a couple of more recent rides...

Talk To Your Animals
jennifer
#19 Posted : Wednesday, 2 June 2010 3:39:20 p.m.

Medals:

Wow....it's pictures like that that remind you of how amazing this country really is!
summerveld
#20 Posted : Friday, 4 June 2010 4:21:18 p.m.

Medals:

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Those photos are amazing, wow, where is that?