Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In

Tag as favorite
Lucinda Green's XC Article in Oct H & P
magpie
#1 Posted : Wednesday, 20 October 2010 3:24:52 p.m.

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Who read & loved this article? She is one of my heros so very cool that we are seeing more of her clinics & articles here. I found the article really interesting.

Today we were docking lambs out the back of the farm & my husband was mustering on his stock horse now this is rugged steep country the horse isn't a jumper & he has never had a riding lesson in his life, yet they were perfectly in balance able to go anywhere including through scrub, up & down banks & all the time he was riding on a loose rein.

I rode the horse home & it was raining heavily so was slippery & as we were a long way out I wanted to get home in a hurry! Now I am used to riding on a contact but as I was cantering home down steep rutted hills & through scrub on a loose rein I clicked, this is the same principles for a safe XC horse just applied in a different context. The reason stock horses are so balanced & safe is because they are able to use there necks as 'balancing poles' & they are allowed to pick their own way up & down steep country so they are expected to 'think for themselves'. I take my hat off to these East Coast Station Hacks I keep learning all the time.

Now I know this is not quite the same as riding a XC course but I think it is similar & gives us food for thought. What does everyone else think? Really interested to hear others thoughts on XC riding.BigGrin
showhunter
#2 Posted : Tuesday, 18 October 2011 9:08:30 p.m.

Medals:

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Love cross country the thrill of going fast with your best friend(a horse) jumping solid jumps makes me happy. xcountry is the best event in eventing.